IMTS 2018 and the U.S. Machine Tool Industry today. Age has its privileges and having attended four NMTBA shows, the first in 1955 at the stockyard, and 26 IMTS shows, the first in 1972 at McCormick Place East when it opened its doors, and with a little more wisdom and years in the business the following is my perspective of IMTS 2018 and the U.S. machine tool industry.(more)
Concerns about relations with China, including tariffs, were priority topics at the latest Materials Processing Equipment Technical Advisory Committee meeting in Washington, D.C. In its August 7 meeting, the committee discussed Wassenaar Arrangement signatories and export controls surrounding additive manufacturing. The Wassenaar Arrangement is a voluntary export control group whose members exchange information regarding export control for conventional weapons and sensitive dual-use goods and technologies.(more)
Ethyl, a mechanical engineering graduate student, is composing a research paper for her Metrology for Precision Manufacturing class. As she writes about abrasive jet finishing, she struggles to find manufacturing technology papers on ambiguous terms like material removal, surface integrity, and polishing tools. Fortunately, she has downloaded AMT’s app that sits inside Microsoft Word.(more)
AMT's goal is to provide the programs and services that will grow members' businesses in every facet - -product innovation, market expansion, employee development - and to represent and promote members and the manufacturing technology (MT) industry to the world at large. Find out if your company is eligible for AMT membership.
At AMT, we understand that our members have two main objectives in running their businesses – increasing sales and decreasing costs! Understanding this fundamental perspective, we strive to address this need in specific ways.
- Providing access to markets in the U.S. and around the world.
- Producing industry intelligence that will position your business for success and allow you to make informed decisions.
- We bolster those core solutions with unique networking and engagement opportunities, by hosting industry events; advocating for the industry; building a Smartforce; and providing access to leading edge, and potentially disruptive, technologies.
Anywhere in the world you want to be, AMT is uniquely positioned to build sales and support your business. AMT’s Global Services range from domestic business support to full-service tech centers. We provide access to markets in the United States and around the world.
Explore a foreign market by participating in an AMT/USA pavilion or AMT oversea technical center. Utilize an AMT foreign office or visit your potential customers where the purchasing decisions are made with AMT trade missions.
- Newly accepted production technologies
- Greatest needs and challenges still remaining
- Areas of interest within R&D
MTConnect is an open communication standard that provides the capability to pass data from machine tools to higher level systems for further processing using the XML-based standard.
The ANSI B11 series of American National Standards and Technical Reports deal with machine tool safety and specify requirements for both the suppliers and users of the machines.
The Metalworking Skill Standards are common skills and competencies a worker needs to perform well on the job.
Knowledge of the current and coming economic environment, as well as the manufacturing technology industry and its customers is the key to strategic planning. Gain this data and accompanying analysis from AMT's Global Forecasting & Marketing Package (GFMP).
We provide unique analysis of trends impacting your company, markets and customers.
- United States Manufacturing Technology Orders (USMTO) - The only valid benchmark for market share and the best barometer of your customers' business.
- MTInsight allows you to visualize economic trends, pinpoint market share and review potential capital investment worldwide.
- On-demand market research tailored to your company's needs